Pages

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sunday cook off

Did the usual trip to the local markets this morning for our weekly fruit and veg. Again no organic man at the first market so no garlic or eggs...rats!
I did however buy my first mango for the season, technically not local as they traveled from the Northern Territory but they smell wonderful.

Next weekend I'm planning on going to the Northey Street Sunday Markets for my dose of organic and permaculture goodness. I love going there, beautiful organic produce and a very inspiring permaculture market garden to wander through.

My lovely partner Tony has decided that we should incorporate a few raw meals a week into our diet, (thud!) yes that was me falling over in shock. Who would have thought my meat eating bloke would be interested in RAW food. I must admit he is happy to eat salad, so I'll just try and expand on that to begin with. I think this is the reason he is keen to try raw food and the fact that it might be good for his health and waistline. Robyn is the daughter of the manager of the gym we go to. The whole family are glowing with health and fitness!

Today I had a bit of a cooking day, starting with some bread baking, our favourite at the moment Light oat and wholemeal.

Now that the weather is warming up I fancied a cool drink so a batch orange and passionfruit cordial was in order. I have bottles of orange juice and passionfruit in the freezer just for these occasions.


Last but not least dinner, I must confess I nicked this combination from the local bowls club, I had this for dinner the last time we dined there.

My version of grilled haloumi with green salad and a sweet chili and lemon dressing

1 block of organic haloumi
Mixed green salad (this had different varieties of lettuce, baby spinach, mint, parsley and snow peas)
Cherry tomatoes
1 1/2 tablespoons of sweet chili sauce
Juice of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon olive oil
Salt and Pepper

Prepare the salad, wash the greens well and either spin dry in a salad spinner or pat dry on a tea towel, place in a mixing bowl, add sliced snow peas and tomatoes that have been halved or quartered, mix to combine.

Make the dressing by combining the sweet chili sauce, lemon juice, olive oil and pepper. Mix well, taste and add a pinch of salt if necessary.

Cut the haloumi into 1 cm slices or just a tad thinner, dip slices into a bowl of fresh water, this helps remove the brine the cheese is stored in.
Pat dry, then lightly dust the cheese with seasoned flour, drizzle over a little olive oil.
Heat a grill or frying pan, when hot cook the cheese slices for about 2 minutes each side, till nicely browned.
To serve, pile up salad on the plate, add slices of grilled haloumi then drizzle dressing over the salad. The meal was completed with a couple of slices of lightly toasted bread.

Hope you have a lovely day
Cheers Lisa


3 comments:

Denny said...

Ohhh,I so love haloumi.This looks a simple,delicous meal I will try for the warmer weather.

Rose said...

Oh Lisa, yum! I was just mentally planning our week's menus and I was stuck on Wednesday which I like to be an easy day. Thanks from our house!

Lisa said...

Chook and Rose, I'm sure you'll like it, very filling too. FYI Rose the original dressing had lime juice in.