Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Pickled onions

Hmmmmm.......NOT!


Onions, leeks, shallots, spring onions, chives, the whole onion family actually do not get along well with my digestive system. Too much information I know, sorry. Garlic is ok, even cooked onion in small amounts is doable, maybe once a week or so. Until you stop and look you don't realise how many dishes or cuisines are based on onion. They add wonderful flavour to foods and have many health benefits. I just can't eat them.


A while back Tony asked me to pickle some onions for him. After putting it off for as long as I could, I finally got around to doing it over the long weekend. It's a bit of a process, peeling, rinsing, soaking in brine for 24 hours, making the pickling liquid, more rinsing, then finally the bottling stage.



I used a recipe from Sally Wise's 'A Year In A Bottle'. She recommends storing the pickles for two months before eating. I hope they're worth the wait!


Hope you have a lovely day

Cheers

Lisa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am allergic to pickled onions and DH loves them. Yuck!!